Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Recipe: $$Money Saving Banana Coconut Muffins$$



I love many things in life... I'm pretty sure that somewhere up in the top 20 are muffins and money, which is why I think these banana muffins are a real treat.

Being a native of South Florida really influenced my taste for food and I can't think of a single tropical fruit that I don't totally appreciate. Bananas and coconuts are by far two of my favorites. My issue is that I buy bananas and coconuts all the time and then I never use them. They sit on my counter until they get old enough for me to feel that it's a risk to eat them and I end up throwing them away, which is not only a waste of food, but a waste of money. Since I usually have flour, sugar, baking powder, milk and eggs in my house at all times, I consider this a pretty affordable recipe... usually all I really have to "buy" are the bananas.

**TIP: Now, when I buy coconuts, I immediately shred them and seal them in an air tight container and stick it in the fridge (it lasts a lot longer that way). You can also buy the bags of shredded coconut, which last FOREVER, but I like to use the milk for chicken marinades, so I usually buy the whole coconut.

I included a picture of the bananas w/ the muffins so the optimum "age" could be seen... I like to use them before they get too ripe, but if you use them when they are not ripe enough they won't give you the maximum flavor.

I didn't put the coconut in the recipe, because really it's optional... but it is delicious with a bit of coconut in the mix. You can also chop macadamia nuts and add those to give it an extra "tropical" flair.

Enjoy!

And, as always, comments are welcome and appreciated!

What you'll need:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil

## DO NOT USE PAPER BAKE CUPS ##

Preheat oven to 400°. In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add all at once to flour mixture. Add 3/4 cup (or more... the more the better, in my opinion!) mashed banana to flour and egg mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Lightly grease muffin cups; fill 2/3 full. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans; serve warm. Makes 10 to 12 muffins.

1 comment:

Lisa Anne said...

These look great. I am so happy that you didnt waste the old bananas and just throw them away. You found good use for them. Football season is coming and it's the time when I bake, I bake a lot and my fam loves muffins so I'm going to have to try your recipe. Great tip on the coconut. I've never bought a whole coconut before. I don't think I'd know what to do with it. lol